During each basketball season, Ontario Basketball (OBA) sanctions approximately 500 tournaments hosted by affiliated member clubs of the OBA. The purpose of tournaments being sanctioned is to have the tournament agree to and abide by all rules, policies and practices of Ontario Basketball. Thus, the sanctioning is designed to ensure that the teams who are participating, experience a standard which meets Ontario Basketball guidelines.
All teams that are registered for the Provincial Championships are required to play in a minimum of one sanctioned tournament during the season.
Any affiliated club and sanctioned partner in good standing with Ontario Basketball and in at least their second year of operation as an affiliated club is eligible to have their tournament sanctioned by Ontario Basketball.
Process involved in having your tournament sanctioned by Ontario Basketball:
Affiliate your club with Ontario Basketball. Re-Affiliation begins September 1st, 2015
- Register one team per age category you wish to host a tournament for, host clubs must have their own teams registered before the tournament will be approved.
- Complete and submit the online application form for approval. This can be found within the clubs "member club login" on the OBA website, you can then add your tournament by clicking on the "Sanctioned tournament " tab. Please create only one "Event" for your club with multiple "sub-events" if you plan to host multiple tournaments.
- Submit OABO approval
- Submit signed Sanctioned Tournament Contract
- Please be advised that upon completion of your clubs final Sanctioned Tournament you will be charged $40.00 per tournament you are hosting and will be sent an invoice to be paid in full. You will be given the option to pay by cheque or by credit card.
- Once your application is approved, your tournament will be posted on the Ontario Basketball website. Tournaments will not be considered a "sanctioned event" until OABO confirmation, tournament contract, and tournament draws have been submitted and approved.
- Submit your final tournament draw and have it approved by Ontario Basketball (this must be submitted 7 days prior to the tournament)
- It is the responsibility of the Host Club to make sure teams that are invited to take part in their tournament are Registered and Affiliated with the OBA, failure to do so may result in the loss of sanctioning.
- You will have 7 days following your Sanctioned tournament whereby you must submit your tournament results to the Ontario Basketball office via e-mail. If tournament results are not sent in within this 7-day period, host clubs will be subject to an additional administration fee.
FIBA SCORESHEETS MUST BE USED DURING ALL LISTED SANCTIONED TOURNAMENTS. Scoresheets can be purchased from the Basketball Store. Please keep scoresheets on file.
Before you apply for sanctioning, please download the Sanctioned Tournament Hosting Manual to review all requirements of your member club for hosting a sanctioned tournament.
For more information, please contact Tyler Harding .