During each basketball season, Ontario Basketball sanctions upwards of 600 tournaments hosted by affiliated clubs. The purpose of tournaments being sanctioned is that the host, in applying to have the tournament sanctioned, agrees to abide by all rules, policies and practices of OBA. Thus, the sanctioning is designed to ensure that the teams who are participating, experience a standard which meets Ontario Basketball guidelines.
All teams that are registered for the Provincial Championships are required to play in a minimum of one sanctioned tournament during the season.
Any affiliated club and sanctioned partner in good standing with Ontario Basketball and in at least their second year of operation as an affiliated club is eligible to have their tournament sanctioned by Ontario Basketball.
Process involved in having your tournament sanctioned by Ontario Basketball:
- Affiliate your club with Ontario Basketball. Re-Affiliation begins August 18th, 2014
- Register one team per age category you wish to host a tournament for, host clubs must have their own teams registered before the tournament will be approved.
- Complete and submit the online application form for approval. This can be found on the member club login, under "Events" and "Add Event". Be sure to specify the tournament draw format in the description section. Please create only one "Event" for your club, then add "sub-events" under this one event.
- Submit OABO approval
- Submit signed Sanctioned Tournament Contract
- Please be advised that upon completion of the Sanctioned Tournament Application process, you will be directed to a checkout page at which point you will be charged $40.00 per tournament you are hosting. Fees must be paid before your tournament will be approved for sanctioning.
- Once your application is approved, your tournament will be posted on the Ontario Basketball website as a Sanctioned Tournament, tournaments will not be considered a "sanctioned event" until OABO confirmation, tournament contract, and tournament draws have been submitted.
- Submit your final tournament draw and have it approved by Ontario Basketball (this must be submitted 7 days prior to the tournament)
- You will have 7 days following your Sanctioned tournament whereby you must submit your tournament results to the Ontario Basketball office via fax or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org If tournament resluts are not sent in within this 7 day period host clubs will be subject to an additional administration fee.
FIBA SCORESHEETS MUST BE USED DURING ALL LISTED SANCTIONED TOURNAMENTS. Scoresheets can be purchased from the Basketball Store.
Before you apply for sanctioning, please download the Sanctioned Tournament Hosting Manual to review all requirements of your member club for hosting a sanctioned tournament.
For more information on please contact Tyler Harding at (416) 477-8075 ext. 211